Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Peanut Noodles

My husband calls this recipe "freakin wicked."  It started off as a pad thai recipe that my mom found on the internet.  She made a bunch of alterations, then  I did the same.  Now we have perfected it.  I use whole wheat noodles, but the original recipe called for rice noodles.  

1 package of noodles (375 g)
1 block tofu (I like to marinate it ahead with 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1-2 Tbsp agave nectar, and a dash of chili powder)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons safflower oil
1/4 cup chopped or crushed peanuts 
2 green onions, sliced
2 carrots, julienned
2-3 red, yellow, or green peppers, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro
1/4 cup bean sprouts (optional)

Sauce: 
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
4 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons chili paste (I use Sambal Oelek Chili Paste)
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup sugar (less if your peanut butter has added sugar)

Cook noodles according to package directions.  
Whisk together the sauce ingredients and microwave until peanut butter softens.  Whisk and set aside.

In a large pan, sautee the tofu with safflower oil until lightly browned.  Set tofu aside.  Stir fry the vegetables and then add the tofu to the vegetable mixture. 

Add half of the peanut sauce to the cooked noodles.  Stir well.  Top with stir-fried vegetables, tofu, peanuts, green onions, and cilantro.  I set the other half of the sauce on the table so people can add more if they want. 


4 comments:

  1. I love pad thai but have only ever made it with shrimp and chicken. Thanks for the option of tofu I plan on trying this asap!
    Fantastic blog - I am not a vegetarian but want to incorporate less meat without losing out on protein (my hubby is always on this fact). Is it possible you could add protein content info?
    PS now i read all the recipes and want to make them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this recipe ROCKS! i'd never had pad thai until last week at Sarah's place, and i was in LOVE. and i'm not a big stir fry fan - this recipe makes it just so yummy though! the lime is the kicker. :)

    ReplyDelete